Englishes
Thursday, November 30, 2006
 
How English Can Make You Tense

Everyday I study my English,
Which is not as simple as it seems.
My head is continuously spinning;
Now verbs are turning in my dreams.

I was learning the Past Continuous,
Which unfortunately didn't last;
For, as I was happily going along,
Up jumped the Simple Past.

I had hoped to learn more quickly;
The Past Perfect I'd wanted to clear,
And it would've been much easier
If the Conditional hadn't appeared.

The Present Perfect I haven't perfected,
Though believe me how I've tried.
The Continuous I've been attempting;
I'm surprised I haven't cried.

The Future won't be simpler,
Of that I am quite sure.
It's going to be confusing
On the evidence of before.

As yet I haven't considered
The Future in the Past.
I was going to make an effort,
But it left me quite aghast.

But the thing that keeps me going,
As I struggle with each tense,
Is that maybe in the future
It just might make some sense.

Source: Alan R. Beresford
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
The purpose of this blog is to encourage you, students, to use your English, or should we say your Englishes? , to exchange ideas, opinions , materials ... on a variety of topics you have to study at school and on current events. By giving you the opportunity to express youselves freely, we hope to get to know you better and to develop your critical thinking, your autonomy and your communicative skills. Have fun!

Name:
Location: Porto
ARCHIVES
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • May 2007
  • Funny Learning
  • I Got An Idea


  • Powered by Blogger